Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ray of Hope

Today was the best episode of Oprah. Oprah had Dr Oz on and the show was on medical miracles. I turned it on right in the middle of the show. She was starting to tell the story of Jason Ray. I already knew his story because I used him in one of my speeches last summer. For those of you who have no hear his story, here it goes. Jason Ray,21, was the mascot for University of North Carolina. On March 23, 2007 he was with the team in New Jersey. Before the game he decided to take a walk to a nearbly gas station for a bite to eat. While walking on the shoulder of a busy highway he was struck by a car. Three days later he died. Ok, so I know you are wondering what the miracle of this story is. As many of you know, my grandfater recieved a liver transplant almost eight years ago. Ok, you are still wondering what does Jason Ray have to do with my grandfather. When Jason Ray got his driver's license he said yes to becoming an organ donor. He sat down with his parents and stressed to them how important this was to him. When the doctors asked Jason Ray's parents if they would want to donate his organs they knew that is what Jason wanted more then anything. Jason Ray saved or made the lives better of over a hundred people. Isn't that amazing?!! Not only were his organs donated, his tissue was donated too. His heart saved someone, his pancreas saved someone, both of his eyes went to two differnet people. The speech I had to give last semester was a persuasive speech. My teacher told me the story of Jason Ray and I knew that if just one person would hear his story and register to be an organ donor then I suceeded in my speech.

I know that this is a debatble subject for most people. My grandfather recieved his liver from a lady who died in a car wreck. I cannot imagine what her family went through but because of her wishes to donate her organ she saved my grandfather's life and probably several other people's lives. The doctors told my mom and grandmother that if my grandfather had not recieved his liver when he did then he probably would not have made it.

Becoming an organ donor has become my cause. I want to educate more people on this. Many people say yes when they renew their driver's license but never tell their families of their wishes. Dr Oz gave America homework to sign up as an organ donor and let your family know of your wishes. Letting your family know is the key!!
I am sure someone is dying to leave me a nasty comment on how you should not donate your organs. But obviously you have not gone through what my family has gone through!! What if your child or spouse needed an organ? So please, keep the comments to yourself.
If you would like more information check out http://www.organdonor.gov/ or you can read Jason Ray's story on http://www.oprah.com/.

No comments: